This day, 12 years ago, Chocolatey CLI was born with the first commit made to GitHub. The first version of Chocolatey CLI, 0.6.0, was released just a few days later. Back then, the Chocolatey Community Repository didn't exist, so it was published to the NuGet.org repository. With Rob Reynolds as a solo developer working on the project alone, he built a thriving community and created a popular commercial solution.
Rob no longer works on Chocolatey alone. With a diverse and geographically dispersed team, we collaborate, innovate and deliver Chocolatey products for our customers and community to ensure they have the best software automation solution for Windows.
Community Repository Downloads
At our birthday celebration last year, we started our journey looking at downloads from the Chocolatey Community Repository. This year we want to continue with that tradition!
The Chocolatey Community Repository is the largest repository of Windows packages available. Up from 435M downloads in 2021, we saw an increase of 35M downloads in 2022 taking us to 470M for the year.
If you want to see what those numbers were in years before 2020, see our 11th birthday blog post.
Last year saw us releasing more product versions than all previous years. Up from 29 in 2021, we released 36 product versions last year, including:
- Chocolatey CLI.
- Chocolatey Licensed Extension.
- Chocolatey Central Management.
- Chocolatey Agent.
- Chocolatey GUI.
- Chocolatey GUI Licensed Extension.
- Chocolatey For Business Azure Environment.
- Chocolatey Ansible Collection.
For 2023 we are set to match that number with 19, mainly alpha and beta versions, already released!
The Last Year
There have been some notable changes over the last year that we wanted to share with you:
- Chocolatey Central Management Deployments is the feature our customers are most excited about. Adding the ability to recur and duplicate existing deployments was a warmly received addition.
- Over the past 12 months, we have produced 13 distinct videos on our YouTube channel as part of our monthly Product Spotlight and Coffee Break livestreams. These videos cover a range of topics, including discussions of recent releases and upcoming changes, as well as interviews with members of the Chocolatey Team and Community Moderators.
- The Chocolatey Community Test Environment was upgraded from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2019. An easy task, on the surface. But with thousands of packages being verified each month, it is a task that must be approached with planning, purpose and tests. Lots and lots of tests.
- We started work to uplift our Chocolatey products to .NET 4.8 and began to add support for NuGet v3 feeds. Several alpha and beta versions have been released to date.
Our focus for the next year is improvements to the Chocolatey Community Repository and moderation services, and the upcoming release of Chocolatey CLI v2.0.0 with support for NuGet v3 feeds and the .NET 4.8 framework.
Our customers, and community, drive us and our products. We are grateful to our community and our customers and we do not take for granted the support we receive, every single day.
Thank you for being part of our journey to 12!
- #news 64 Number of post with tag news
- #press release 51 Number of post with tag press release
- #chocolatey for business 41 Number of post with tag chocolatey for business
- #packaging 18 Number of post with tag packaging
- #open source 15 Number of post with tag open source
- #12 days of Chocolatey 2023 12 Number of post with tag 12 days of Chocolatey 2023
- #tutorial 12 Number of post with tag tutorial
- #chocolatey community repository 8 Number of post with tag chocolatey community repository
- #chocolatey central management 6 Number of post with tag chocolatey central management
- #chocolatey cli 6 Number of post with tag chocolatey cli